Skip to main content

Random Movie: Hannibal (2001)

My love affair with the movie Hannibal is long and twisted. At the time before its release, I loved its predecessor Silence of the Lambs for many reasons but primarily due to its legendary villain, Hannibal Lector. During the pre-production phase of Hannibal, it seemed to be dealt several marks against it from Jonathan Demme and Jodie Foster dropping out as well as a general disdain for the ending of the book. I was still excited at the prospect though and even went so far as to go to an open casting call for extras as it was filming in my hometown.

And then, on opening weekend in 2001, I saw the film with a friend of mine ... and I freaking hated it. I can't remember exactly why I did not care for it. At the time, and even more so now, I liked Julianne Moore but she just seemed rather out of place as Clarice. Perhaps it was also due to a drastic shift in tone or pace from the first (technically second) Hannibal adventure. But bottom line, I was ready to write the film off and go on my merry way, nary looking back at the failed opportunity that was Hannibal. But then I bought the DVD when it was released later that year. Being at a point where I really enjoyed bonus features on DVDs and had a plethora of disposable income, I bought it knowing that I didn't care for the movie at all. Then, after watching the movie again, I decided I rather liked it.

I went into seeing the movie with the wrong expectation: it would be Silence Part II, following the same basic formula and set up as Silence and Michael Mann's Manhunter. Instead of a rehash of the "Hannibal helps the cops catch another serial killer with his insights and intellect," we get a movie about Clarice's life in the FBI and her fall from grace and Hannibal's ideal retreat in the world. Interlocking the two stories is the history the two characters have shared and the understanding of each other that has come about.

Perhaps the turning point was Ridley Scott's commentary which described the movie as an unrequited love story. It sounded really odd and arrogant this first time I heard it, but upon reflection, that is a rather fair assessment of the film. Hannibal loves Clarice, Clarice may reciprocate but she feels a sense of duty to an unjust bureaucracy that wants Hannibal more. Sure, there are other plots to fill up the two hour film such as with Mason Verger and Inspector Pazzi, but the story ultimately boils down to them. From his gift of shoes, to saving her life, to cooking her boss, and even cutting off his own hand, Hannibal tries to be a stand-up man and show his feelings to Clarice, knowing she will never feel the same as she is committed to her sense of justice and right and wrong.

Allegedly, this is where the book deviates from the characters at the end but having read none of Thomas Harris' novels, I can neither confirm nor deny. However, I can confirm Hannibal is one of my favorite movies with the beautiful scenes in Florence, the grotesque Mason Verger (played with greatness by Gary Oldman), and even the operatic-based score by Hans Zimmer. Sadly, the character of Hannibal did not recover well in Red Dragon (which is to be expected I suppose for anyone who previous saw Manhunter). While it did not receive the acclaim of the previous film, Hannibal is a solid character piece, with a little cannibalism thrown in for fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Movie: Popcorn (1991)

Random Movie: [REC] (2007)

Random Movie: The Frighteners (1996)

Finally Open for Business! Top Movies Delayed for Some Reason or Another

Random Movie: Escape Room (2019)