Skip to main content

Why 'Sinister 2'?


The original Sinister was a kick in the gut as far as horror films go.

Having grown up with a steady diet of Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, and whatever other random shlock was out at the time, I typically don't respond well to horror films for their intended purpose: to scare. But I'll be damned if Sinister didn't get me time and time again but not with cheap jump scares and cats in pantries, but with truly disturbing imagery and an unsettling tone throughout.

Much like James Wan's recent non-Saw output, such as The Conjuring or Insidious, I do respond to those low-key but emotionally terrifying scenes that present a real danger to the characters, rather than one composed by lazy screenwriting to justify a horror label.

And much like The Conjuring, Sinister was not big on jump-scares or fakeouts but real scenarios playing out to real-ish characters that carried emotional weight. But since Sinister focused on Ethan Hawke and his family, I wonder what direction this sequel will take.

Considering Sinister was a modest box office hit and well received with critics and audiences, a sequel does not surprise me but if anything, this seemed like a one-and-done story contained within that movie. Of course, the teaser trailer just released doesn't really show anything major and I'm guessing the basic story will be the same surrounding deranged old family movies.

Still, out of all the recent horror movies that I've seen, I'm less interested in a Sinister 2 only because I feel like that story has run its course. Of course, this is all based on speculation from a teaser and nothing else but my opinion still stands. And I'm still terrified of lawnmowers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Movie: Popcorn (1991)

Random Movie: [REC] (2007)

Random Movie: The Frighteners (1996)

Finally Open for Business! Top Movies Delayed for Some Reason or Another

Random Movie: Escape Room (2019)