Skip to main content

A Clarifying Discussion


So I figured that I should, and later confirmed by Puck that it may be a good idea to, explain something about me.

I HAVE AN UNNATURAL OBSESSION WITH WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S.

I should first say that I realize that this movie is complete garbage and in no way aesthetically redeeming. Though I am a lover of fine cinema, there is room for fluff in my life, as there is with most people. I have a small collection of these on my DVD shelf. Some examples are: The Gate, Real Men, Joe Dirt, Friday the 13th Parts 5-8. But Weekend at Bernie's is different from the rest. What is it? Is it the hilarious premise of a dead man being passed off as alive for an entire weekend? No. Is it the Lichtenstein in Bernie's house at the Hamptons? Nope. Is it Tawny's fine ass exposed? Well, not entirely. Quite simply it is the pairing of Andrew McCarthy and Johnathan Silverman. Any scene of this movie that has the 2 of them bantering back and forth is some bizarre artwork, much like the aforementioned Lichtenstein. The combination of Silverman's stereotypical neurotic hyperdriven to success Jew and McCarthy's slacker, booze and sex crazed underachiever is like Reese's peanutbutter and Hershey's chocolate. Watch them! I honestly believe that they tried to pass dead a man as being alive for research!

Now, some of you will try to explain to me why no one should like this movie. You will say things like, "That dead body would have been a bit gamey after a few hours and especially after being wet, and being in that heat. Someone would have noticed." "I don't believe that that was an organized crime family for a minute, they were quite dullards." "Just because Bernie had a smirk on his face, doesn't make it funnier." Yes, yes, we can all point out the terrible inconsistencies, horrible editing and everything else that was wrong with it. But I have not seen the film over 100 times and have it memorized for the plot. It is for the brilliant back and forth between Larry and Richard written by Robert Klane that the plot was sacrificed for.

I may in future posts refer to the "Weekend at Bernie's Effect." This can have a couple of meanings:

1. Movie that although vastly inferior, will be playing in the background, or may even be watched anytime it comes on (i.e. Just One of the Guys, Police Academy 4). "Why are you watching Police Academy 4?" "Fucking Weekend at Bernie's Effect."

2. When 2 actors are really funny and basically are the only reason why a film is watchable, ala Johnathan Silverman and Andrew McCarthy (i.e. Jim Belushi and John Ritter in Real Men). "What is this, Real Men? What are you, retarded?" "Naw, dude, check out Belushi and Ritter. Totally have the Weekend at Bernie's Effect going on."

Please bear in mind that my obsession stops here, and does not continue to it's lifeless sequel (see what I did there?!). Not even Johnathan and Andrew could save it, and is what probably shelved the planned 3rd installment. That was just greedy.

Comments

  1. It's rather funny that the original and the sequel are written and directed by the same man, have the same stars, and basically have the same plot but while the original is mediocre, the sequel makes me want to vomit into a McDonald's play area.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Random Movie: [REC] (2007)

Random Movie: Popcorn (1991)

Random Movie: The Frighteners (1996)

Finally Open for Business! Top Movies Delayed for Some Reason or Another

Random Movie: Escape Room (2019)